A Little Business Update
Yesterday, the directors of our little company got together to do some business transactions. We took a new photo for our Facebook profile picture, then we got a few pictures of team members all working in the new office. Carol and Russell hadn’t seen it yet. Mandi got the place in great shape for the visit, so I thought I’d share those photos. I’ll have to get a picture of what Mandi did with the old manual typewriter we found in the shed–she wrote up our company values and printed it in a typewriter font, and made it look like we just typed them up. It’s a great touch in the conference room.
Who Are We?
New readers probably haven’t read our biographies, so I thought I’d share a sentence or two about our team and their roles. But first, let me remind you that we have many others helping us out! Without our general contractors, wholesaler friends, real estate partners, investment partners, lenders, bankers, and of course mentors, we’d be nowhere. (I’ll list some of them below.) Anyway, here’s our team in first-name order:
Anita McCabe fills multiple roles on our team from our Austin offices. She writes blog posts, edits our materials, enters data in our tracking system, analyzes deals, writes postcards, and searches for potential houses to buy. She also helps out Carol as needed. She will soon be managing her first renovation project for us. Her other job is a free-lance editor of medical journals.
Carol Mangum is the Realtor® on the team. She submits bids, negotiates with buyers and sellers, answers our special phone number, analyzes deals, creates marketing material, stages houses for sale, and much more. She also has a personal real estate practice, so feel free to contact her if you want to buy or sell a house the traditional way in the Austin area.
Lee Bruns manages the business part of the business. He keeps track of expenses, searches out loans, works with bankers and real estate professionals, writes many of our blog posts, and interacts with the public. He also does personal PR by speaking to various organizations.
Mandi Tyson works in our Cameron office, helping Lee with both this business and Hermits’ Rest Enterprises, Lee and Sue Ann’s other business. She calls vendors and negotiates prices, schedules work to be done on various houses, and does our vital accounting work.
Russell Mangum does our IT work and keeps the websites (there are lots of them hiding in the Internet) up and running. Russ also participates in many local meetups and real estate investor meetings, where he networks and finds us new contacts. He also blogs for us often, and is in charge of our goal setting and tracking. He works as a SharePoint developer for his “jobby-job.”
Sue Ann Kendall is the social media lead for the team. She posts to our various Facebook pages, tweets, writes blog posts, and coordinates all the blog postings for this site and the HermitsBuyHouses site we also blog on, which is for people looking to sell problem houses. She also maintains the pages for all our current and past projects.
What Are We Doing?
The past few weeks have been very busy for the Hermits, and the next few continue that trend! Here are a few of our milestones and activities, so you’ll see why it’s been a whirlwind:
- We finalized the contract on the old house in Taylor that we thought we’d lost. which I’m calling the Taylor Homestead. We’ll put up a page on it when we are SURE it’s going through.
- We scheduled the closing on the Kerrville Folkways house in north Austin for next week. At last!
- We closed on the Roadrunner house in Bryan on Thursday. Can’t wait to get that renovation going.
- We pre-signed paperwork for the next few projects we will finance at the Buckholts State Bank. We are lucky to have great small-town bankers to work with.
- Next week Lee is going to attend workshops in New Orleans through the FortuneBuilders group. He’ll be attending the Money Academy and Asset Protection and Tax Planning. Continuing education is important!
- We rented the top floor of our Cameron office building to our fellow investor, Larry, at Andress & 3. He just bought the RV park next to our Cameron properties, so it’s practically an empire.
- Next week we close on the sale of the Lakeland house! It’s our most profitable deal so far. We will have cool before and after collages to share, so look forward to that.
- Theoretically, next week the Bobcat Lair project will be finished. More on that in tomorrow’s post. The movers come to free the Braesgate house contents from storage on May 23, though, finished or not.
Whew! We are very happy to see our business starting to thrive after all the hard work we have put into it. Patience IS a virtue, after all.
Folks to Thank
We want to acknowledge some of the people who have helped build our business. That includes: Frank D., Ruben N., Ray R., Richard N., Ricky M., Judy T., Eugene, Dominic F., the other Dominic, Jim C., Tina W., Christi C. (queen of networking), and our coaches/mentors Sonya, Tommy, Phill, and Shenoah. If we left you out, let us know and you’ll get on the list!