This week’s Bobcat Lair report gives hope that the project actually will be a livable house. Floors, walls, what will be next?
Once the concrete was poured downstairs, the RJN Construction team lost no time in moving forward rapidly. There are deadlines to meet and payments that only happen when stuff is done (hooray for our construction management systems!).
When we visited, the electrician was busy wiring all the new rooms, which gave me a chance to participate in deciding how many outlets to put in the office and wine room, and where. Ruben the GC also had a couple of good ideas in that department, so I’m really happy with how that’s turning out.
I ran my idea of the faux windows by him, and he got excited to figure out a way to do that. Even the electrician thought it would be a clever way to give an illusion of natural light. So, I guess that’s happening. I also found light fixtures of the style I want to put in the stairway and dining area, plus when we realized a fan would not be good in the office (somewhat low ceiling), I realized that the third fixture in that series would work. For once I didn’t pick the most expensive items available, either.
The downstairs rooms looked so good with most of the framing up. You could really see the design coming together. The closet in the new bedroom is a great size, as is the new bathroom. The wine room is bigger than I’d imagined, and the office plenty big. I’d say my favorite surprise was how big the hallway leading to the wine room turned out. We will be able to actually use that area for something.
Of course, being a “basement,” there are some quirks, due to the original concrete foundation’s presence. You can’t move THAT. So, while two awkward ledges are going to be disguised by built-in bookshelves in the new bedroom and office, there are a couple of little ledges that are just going to have to be considered “features” and finished out as best we can. I think one will get finished with flooring and one with tile. We’ll see, but I’m not complaining. It’s pretty cool to be able to dig out so many square feet without changing the home’s footprint at all.
In addition to all this excitement, we chose a toilet and bathtub for the new bathroom (going to match all the other toilets, thankfully), and there was some concrete poured outside to serve as erosion control. The inspector called for it, so the Homeowner Association is just going to have to let us make the house safe! I’m also going to request that they restore the landscaping next to the house, or let me buy plants for them to maintain. I just figured out where the stack of “firewood” that was under the house came from…they cut down dead shrubbery where there are now stumps. I’m pretty sure. Grr. (See photo in gallery)
Enjoy the gallery of photos below, and remember, if you’d like to sell us a house, or work with us as an investor, call us at 512-807-8777!