I’m pretty excited. We just finished the first round of demo on the Roadrunner house yesterday, and we’ve already had a couple of inquiries from potential buyers. And that’s with me forgetting to take our yard sign…again.
But this post is supposed to be a project update.
A Slight Disappointment
Last week, I was excited to tell you we had found 2×6″ tongue-and-groove flooring when we ripped out the carpet upstairs. That excitement has turned to disappointment.
The installers knew this flooring was going to be used as a heavy-duty subfloor. So they weren’t as careful as they would have been had it been intended for the main, finished floor. There are gaps between the planks, some of them wide enough to stick a finger through. Sigh.
If we filled in those large gaps with wood putty and sealed them, they would still be very visible to the naked eye. Wood putty is just not intended for that application. Then it seems we have two different species of wood in the subflooring. The different species take stain differently, which would exaggerate the differences.
The cost to replace the misaligned planks and continue the flooring into the addition would be more than $15,000. Yikes! The budget is already strained and won’t support that cost. Ruben suggested installing engineered flooring (we usually use high-quality bamboo), but that would still add considerably to the budget.
The good news is our unscientific survey of potential buyers. Everyone who has dropped by the house so far prefers our Plan A: carpeting the upstairs, living room, and stairs.
Demo Is Complete
The other good news is that demo is complete, and the renovation has begun. Next time, I’ll talk about some of the progress we’ve already made.
Hermann says please like and share!