Ruben and crew made good progress on the Roadrunner house since last week. As with almost every project I’ve ever worked on, we’re falling behind schedule. But that’s because we keep spending “invisible money” to make things right. And we found more places to spend it.
More often than not, turning off the water to a house exposes a problem with the water heater. While it is in use, water pressure keeps any rust in the tank pressed tightly against the tank walls. When the pressure is eliminated, the rust can settle to the bottom of the tank, exposing small holes in the tank wall. These holes leak when you turn the water back on.
This problem happens often enough that we budget for it in every renovation. If the tank survives cycling the water pressure, that money goes into the contingency budget and often fixes other problems, and the water heater is usually good for years. When it doesn’t survive, we replace the water heater, and our budget isn’t killed with an unplanned expense.
Last week I mentioned we had five different textures on the drywall. When skim coating and floating, we discovered that some of the drywall had not been installed correctly, and that caused undulations to telegraph through the skim coat. We removed that, fixed the underlying problems, and reinstalled new drywall—all so we could re-texture it and continue working.
The carpet is also in throughout the upstairs. We decided to go with carpet after several visitors expressed a preference for it. This really surprised me. It makes me wonder if hardwoods (or reasonable facsimiles of them) are going out of vogue. Better ask Suna if wood floors are another trend in the process of dying.
Also upstairs, the interior painting is complete. We tried a new color this time. It looks a little pink on the walls. We’ll have to see how it looks when all the lights are in and the color sets. I hope we don’t have to repaint. That gets expensive.*
My favorite part of the house so far, other than saving the built-ins, is now the bathrooms. Suna chose a oblong ceramic tile that contrasts well with the dark brown bathroom walls. Tile installation in the hall and second master is complete. The master installation is almost done.
All in all, this has been an unexciting update, but that’s how I like it.
*Suna says: I went out and looked at the paint, and decided that it looks OK in the bedrooms, like a pale southwestern pinky-peach color. However, I decided to pick a more neutral tan for downstairs. I keep looking at those original swatches. They are much more red in larger quantities! See my photos below.