There were some nagging items on the punch list for the Bobcat Lair house that still needed to be completed, and a new issue that came up, so we decided to have someone new come in to work on them. We decided a small project would be a good way to see if this team would make a good addition to our contractor list.
What We Needed
Only two of the things I needed done were substantial, because Anita and I had done a lot of the previously remaining items ourselves. The most important thing I wanted fixed were the big holes I’d recently discovered beneath the interesting bathroom windows. I kept hearing squirrels up there, then a family of wrens showed up (they left just before the hurricane). The wood had deteriorated so badly that you could see into the bathroom if you looked up under the window. Not good.
The other big thing was that the cute little suitcase closet at the bottom of the stairs never got a door. I had covered the suitcases in a sheet and put a lovely picture of a wart hog from when I was in junior high school up, but, well, that’s just not a permanent solution.
The New Guy said nice things about the house, which made us feel good, and gave a reasonable bid to complete the tasks. So last week he and his helper got to work. I don’t know which feature of these guys I liked better, the fact that they are always on time or the fact that they completely clean up every day. These things should be on that contractor qualifications list I just posted about!
The rotten wood around the bathroom windows took some work, but it looks fine now. There’s still a worn out trim piece or two that needs to be replaced, but that may be done later, when the deck gets done (we also asked for a deck bid). They also cleaned the interior and exterior of the windows, so I can actually see out of them. They’re still weird bathroom windows, but now with my purple bottles and stuff up there, it’s a funky cool set of windows.
The door for the suitcase closet was more challenging than we would have thought. It’s not a standard opening, and no matter what we came up with, something would be inconvenient. I even thought about designing a roll-top opening like on an old desk, but we couldn’t find any ready-made parts. So, we decided to just cut down a regular door. Even that was a challenge, because no solid doors matched our style, and they were way more than hollow-core doors. So, the New Guy bought a hollow door and figured out a way to seal it on the cut edge. With a nice handle in place, it will be much better than a portrait of a wart hog!
Here are the other things that got done (photos below). They may be small, but they are things that were bugging us that we couldn’t do ourselves:
- They moved an electric outlet that had been placed in such a way that to put on a cover we’d either have had to cut off the plate, or cut into the molding below the outlet. Now it just looks like an outlet. They used the drywall they cut out for the new hole to cover the old one! Yay!
- They changed out a white electrical outlet on the floor for a brown one. Now you don’t notice it’s there. Also, in the picture you see a box. That’s the really loud wireless doorbell I installed to replace the nice one I’d previously bought that was mis-installed. The new team covered over where the old original one was, so it’s invisible now.
- Put a cover on the ventilation fan in the new bathroom. They also made sure it actually vented, which it hadn’t been doing before. That’s helpful.
- Installed the carbon monoxide detector. I won’t even go into why that hadn’t happened yet.
There is one other item that got done. It made me so happy. You see, wiring was set up behind the crown molding on my master bedroom tray ceiling, so some LED lighting could be put in there. The light switch was all set and everything, but the lights never got installed. I’d resigned myself to no lights, but the New Guy said it would be easy to install. Of course it turned out to be a little challenging, since the bedroom is so large that it required three sets of lights. But, by golly, they did it. And was I surprised when I found out that not only do they make a nice, soft lighting for television watching and such, but they also do 16 colors of lights, in a huge variety of formations! It’s a disco bedroom now! Anita and I keep making it do different settings and colors. Hours of entertainment! The video below is just simple yellow lights running around. I was trying to be calm.
In any case, we are SO glad that the house is DONE. Now we can get the final inspection. Finally.