Last week we asked our readers to help Lee and the City of Cameron out by providing some ideas for making good use of the old police station/municipal court/jail building, now that those facilities have moved to a more modern building with secure parking and other luxuries (just kidding, it’s nice, but no money was wasted).
We said that whoever provided the suggestion we voted as the best would get free tickets to the Rotary Casino Night, which is coming up on January 26. We had three favorite responses, but only one of them lives in Cameron, so with no nepotism involved, we’d like to offer the tickets to Randy Tyson. We’d also like to shout out to John Bradford and Kathleen Caso, who probably would not have come to Cameron from Yorktown, Texas or Illinois to do Casino Night, anyway. (And to those of you who ARE in Milam County, you can get tickets to the Rotary Casino Night from Lee.)
But honestly, there were no suggestions that weren’t helpful. We know our City Manager, Rhett Parker, will appreciate all the ideas as the City works to find a use for the property. So, thank you to all of you kind people who helped us think!
What were the suggestions? What did we think about them?
After-school youth center for teenagers. Pool tabe, dart board, game tables, a juke box, TV, burgers and fries and sodas…
- This was Randy’s winning idea, so we suggest he run the place. This is something the town really could use, but there would need to be a LOT of supervision.
An adult day care center. Activities for the elderly; Bingo once a week, socials. Some place for the aging to look forward to going once a week alone or with their caregivers or family.
- This is also a great community-focused idea. There are informal gatherings now, but a dedicated space would be very welcome. Like the teen hangout, this would need some supervision, for safety, but not so much.
Mixed retail/ living space/offices.
- This was a very popular suggestion, and something that has worked in other small and medium towns, not just bigger places (it is really common in Austin).
Artspace, living and working space for artists on upper floors, supported by businesses leasing the ground floor.
- Yep, this could work, if there were businesses to lease. We do actually have a good number of artists in the area.
The warehouse-like space might work for a dance studio or music/theatre rehearsal and performance space.
- Really like the dance studio idea. There isn’t one in town, and this would be convenient.
Studio apartments for homeless or low income veterans.
- Another super suggestion. There may even be government funding to support this kind of project, and even though there is housing in town like this, there is never enough.
Halfway house for veterans (or others).
- The location, which is not residential, might be good for this kind of use.
Themed bed and breakfast.
- Ooh, this one was popular, with multiple suggestions! I’m sure lots of people would want to sleep in a jail cell! A creative buyer could do a lot with this concept.
Restaurant or bar and grill.
- We can use more restuarants. And people willing to work in them. And while there are more bars than there used to be, another nice one with good food would be appreciated by Milam County residents, we think.