Ruben and crew made good progress on the Roadrunner house since last week. As with almost every project I’ve ever worked on, we’re falling behind schedule. But that’s because we keep spending “invisible money” to make things right. And we found more places to spend it.
More often than not, turning off the water to a house exposes a problem with the water heater. While it is in use, water pressure keeps any rust in the tank pressed tightly against the tank walls. When the pressure is eliminated, the rust can settle to the bottom of the tank, exposing small holes in the tank wall. These holes leak when you turn the water back on.
This problem happens often enough that we budget for it in every renovation. If the tank survives cycling the water pressure, that money goes into the contingency budget and often fixes other problems, and the water heater is usually good for years. When it doesn’t survive, we replace the water heater, and our budget isn’t killed with an unplanned expense.
Last week I mentioned we had five different textures on the drywall. When skim coating and floating, we discovered that some of the drywall had not been installed correctly, and that caused undulations to telegraph through the skim coat. We removed that, fixed the underlying problems, and reinstalled new drywall—all so we could re-texture it and continue working.